If you have problems logging in to your account, here are some helpful answers to frequently asked questions.
Your account with Orlov Chess Academy helps you register classes and events, review your purchase history and cancel your registration if needed.
What Do I Type in the Username?
There are two things you may enter in the Username field. If you’re unsure of one of these values then try the other. The two values are equivalent for login purposes and you can use either one interchangeably.
- Your e-mail address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org), or
- Your user account name (e.g. John-Doe)
What is My E-mail Address?
To find the e-mail address for your account:
- Check your e-mail history for messages from Orlov Chess Academy – read your messages to find the “To:” address
- Click inside the blank Username field – some web browsers will offer a list of previous values entered
- Type a guess at your email address and password and click Login
- If your e-mail account has not been registered, regardless of password, then it shows “ERROR: Invalid username.”
- If your e-mail address is registered but the password incorrect, then it shows a different message of “ERROR: The password you entered for the username John-Doe is incorrect”
What is My User Account Name?
To find the user account name for your account (e.g. John-Doe)
- Type a guess at your user name and password – if the user name is not registered, regardless of password, then it shows “ERROR: Invalid user name”
- Type a guess at your email address and password and click Login – it will remind you of your user name by showing “ERROR: The password you entered for the username John-Doe is incorrect.”
- Type a guess at your username based on your email address. The username is usually the first half of your email. For example, an address of ‘email@example.com’ may possibly have username ‘johndoe123’.
What’s My Password?
You can reset your password at chessplayer.com/lostpassword Note that the login page includes this “Lost Password” link.
The password reset process will send a message to your email address to help reset your password. The subject line will say “[Orlov Chess Academy] Password Reset” it contains a link to choose a new password.
For security reasons, the system does not allow anyone (including administrators) to see your password.
What if Password Reset Doesn’t Work?
The Lost Password link will send you an e-mail to help reset your password. If the e-mail is not received, try one:
- The password reset message typically takes at least five minutes to arrive. Be patient. Please wait up to fifteen minutes for the email message. Be sure to click your ‘Refresh’ or ‘Send/Receive email’ button periodically while waiting.
- As usual for most ‘missing message’ problems, check your Spam folder, Junk folder, and other places that the message might automatically be filed or overlooked.
- If the password reset email is completely lost, then write to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a password reset. Include a description of the problem along with your name and contact information.
I was Locked Out. Now What?
If you attempt login with too many incorrect passwords, your account is temporarily locked.
- The screen will show the message “ERROR: This account has been locked because of too many failed login attempts. You may try again in 1 hour.”
- The system will send you an email message about the locked account. This will help you know if someone is trying to use your account without authorization.
The limit is currently set to 12 tries and then it will lock your account for an hour. This limit is intended to protect your account by defending against brute-force password-guessing by robots.
If you are locked out, try one:
- Check your e-mail for a message from ‘email@example.com’ with subject line ‘[Orlov Chess Academy] Account Locked’. It contains a link to help you unlock your account.
- Wait an hour and try again.
- Try the ‘password reset’ procedure.
- If all else fails to unlock your account, write to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for your account to be unlocked and the password reset to make your next login easier. Please include a description of the problem and your contact information.
I Registered My New Account but Did Not Receive a Confirmation E-mail. Now What?
We understand this is an especially frustrating problem. Without the confirmation e-mail, you can’t sign in, and without signing in then you can’t register for an event because the e-mail address is in limbo.
- The confirmation message typically takes at least five minutes to arrive. Be patient. Please wait up to fifteen minutes for the email message. Be sure to click your ‘Refresh’ or ‘Send/Receive email’ button periodically while waiting.
- As usual for most ‘missing e-mail’ problems, check your Spam folder, Junk folder, and other places that the message might automatically be filed or overlooked.
- If you never receive a New Account message, then please write to email@example.com with a problem report with as much detail as possible. This problem is rare but we take it very seriously and appreciate your help in tracking it down.